Monday, April 27, 2009

Barriers to Worship

Yesterday at church a local Christian University singing group led us in worship. It was wonderful, convicting and inspiring. The leader of the group gave a 'mini' sermon on the "Barriers to Worship". What keeps us from worshipping God? He gave 3 reasons:
  1. Ignorance--we've never been taught
    Romans 12:1-2 "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."
    Psalm 63:4 "So I will bless you as long as I live; in your name I will lift up my hands."
    Matthew 15:8-9 "This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me, in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." It starts in the heart. Don't do in public what you haven't already done at home.
  2. Fear--we are so afraid of being judged. What will others think about us?
    Psalm 40:3 "He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the Lord."
  3. Arrogance--we really don't think our sin is that bad. When we sing about God's amazing love, we aren't convicted or moved to any point because we don't see our sin as ugly, wretchedness before a holy God.
    Isaiah 64:6 "We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind take us away."
Sin is sin. Preach the gospel to yourself every day. Meet Him at the cross.

From the Inside Out

A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace

Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame
my heart and my soul, Lord I give you control
Consume me from the inside out Lord
Let justice and praise become my embrace
To love You from the inside out

Your will above all else, my purpose remains
The art of losing myself in bringing you praise

Jesus Messiah by Chris Tomlin
He became sin
Who knew no sin
That we might become His Righteousness
He humbled himself and carried the cross

Love so amazing
Love so amazing

Chorus:
Jesus Messiah
Name above all names
Blessed Redeemer
Emmanuel
The rescue for sinners
The ransom from Heaven
Jesus Messiah
Lord of all

Now do you see why it was so wonderful, yet convicting and inspiring? Jesus, I need You every hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment