Thursday, June 10, 2010

Linky Like

I like this blog that I recently found:: Confessions of a Homeschooler. She has some great printables. I'm a big fan of this Creative Correction chart. (Scroll down and look under "Forms for Mom.") It is similar to the chart we've used for years and years from Doorposts. I colored it and laminated it, then filled in the consequences with a permanent marker. The permanent marker can be 'erased' using fingernail polish remover. These charts help take the guess work out of what consequences will be given for certain behaviors. When I use the chart consistently it works and the children respond well. :) It also takes away the emotional element of disciplining.

What have you found that works with your kids?

2 comments:

  1. Heather, I think you've hit the nail on the head: consistency. I think consequences need to be age-appropriate and offense-appropriate but beyond that you must be consistent. If you punish one day for something but not the next day kids get really confused and then they don't believe you when you threaten. So kudos to you for working out a way to be consistent! It's not as easy as it may sound!!! (And remember to have positive consequences for appropriate behaviors! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement! And thanks for the reminder to reward positive behavior as well. :)

    ReplyDelete