Monday, August 9, 2010

Doing the Next Thing

Ever feel like you have so many things on your plate that you just have to focus on the ONE next thing? That's where I am. We have been busy and I'm busy getting lots of things in place. Thankfully the Lord has sustained me and given me strength along the way.

I really like Elisabeth Elliot's reminder--Do the Next Thing:

From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: “Do the next thing.”


Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing.


Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
Leave all results, do the next thing.

Looking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, do the next thing.

So, having made my list and giving even it to the Lord, I'm moving forward, doing the next thing.
Thanks loyal readers for still reading...I hope to be more consistent in my blogging as I do have LOTS to say! :)

2 comments:

  1. YEA! I'm so glad to see you back! I have missed your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughts....I feel the same as you. I am looking forward to getting this move done. August 21 is our move-in date.

    ReplyDelete