Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Decluttering my Email Inbox

I have such a great feeling of accomplishment...it was only my email inbox, but it was a cluttered mess. I read a very helpful post by The Lazy Organizer. In her post, she said that she added three more folders that have cleaned up her inbox for good. Well, me too!!

I was always scrolling back and forth through emails that needed attention. So, why not make a "Needs Attention" folder? In all, I created 3 more folders (I already had my family, friends, homeschool, etc. folders in place.) Mine are titled slightly different than The Lazy Organizer's are.

Needs Attention today
Needs Attention 1 week
Future Interest

Each day I will place emails that I need to answer today in the Needs Attention today folder. Clever, huh? I must empty this folder each day.
Each week, starting with Sunday, I will place emails that I need to handle within a week in the appropriate folder. This folder must be viewed and managed on an almost daily basis, so that I don't miss anything.
And the Future Interest folder for things I'd like to look at, or think I might use, but not now.

So, for the exciting news, I started this morning with over 300 emails sitting idle in my inbox. Right now, at this very moment, I have 8. 8, yep, that's all. I love this new system; I don't think I will dread getting new mail anymore. And visually, it's all so freeing. I can breathe.

Today, my email inbox, tomorrow, my house. :)

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday ideas.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! So many times I tend to get overwhelmed with responding to e-mails and I often forget about them. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Tip! So simple, yet I never would have thought of it on my own....I always just leave the ones I need to respond to in my inbox, and it just grows and grows and them I get overwhelmed!

    Ok, now I'm off to make some new folders. Thanks so much for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I've got a ton of folders, but I still have a bunch of stuff that gets left in my inbox because I have respond to it or print it out. I never thought of making folders like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that this tip is helping others. So glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete