Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Works for Me: Encouragement


My love language is definitely words of encouragement. I love to give words of encouragement and I love to receive words of encouragement.

Last night at our local homeschool meeting the speaker was a veteran homeschool mom. Her children are now in their 30's homeschooling their children. I smiled when she said, "We homeschooled when homeschooling wasn't cool." (After the country/western song by Barbara Mandrell "I was country when country wasn't cool.") She encouraged us that in homeschooling our lives become training fields for our kids. They watch us and model themselves after us. What a big responsibilty and a challenge to live our lives according to God's Word. She also encouraged us to know the strengths and weaknesses of our children. Give them opportunities to explore what they are good at. She said that it was the times of play and free-time that solidified what her children became. For example, her one daughter always loved to dress up in homemade costumes and put on plays. Today she writes children's Bible curriculum--turning Scripture into plays for children. Our speaker wrapped up her talk by reading a story called "The Invisible Mom". It is kind of long, but it has a wonderful message.

Here are some links that offer encouragement:
Jeannie Fulbright has a list of encouraging articles, mostly related to being a wife, mom and homeschooling parent.
Nancy Leigh DeMoss has a wonderful bunch of articles on a wide variety of topics. Click on "Grow" on the left-hand side bar.

Go visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday ideas.

2 comments:

  1. This what exactly what I needed today. When I read the Invisible Mom thing I actually cried out loud. Thanks Heather!! I was encouraged tons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful Deb! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete