Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What I have up my Sleeve...

Several times over the last few months I've shared something with a friend only to be asked, "How long have you been doing that?" or "Why have you never told me that before?" So today, I will share with you all the tricks and tips that I have up my sleeve. (Okay, not all--mostly because I can't ever remember them all, but here are several.)
  • I reuse cereal box liners. I get lots of raised eyebrows on this one, but seriously folks, they come in handy! After they've done a grand job holding the cereal, shake the dust out, fold it, and store it until needed for...a mat for a preschool art project, a bag to shake chicken pieces or smash croutons or crackers in, a cooling place for cookies and the list goes on. For a mat or cooling place, I cut the bag open and lay it flat, once done you can either wipe it off and reuse another time OR throw it away if it can't be used any longer. I feel greener just typing this 'up my sleeve' trick.
  • I use vinegar in my washing machine to freshen our clothes. I pour it in a "downy ball" and toss it in. Vinegar helps soften clothes and ward off static cling, too.
  • I've been known to mix a box of plain Cheerios with a box of 'honey nut' cheerios. This makes the cereal last longer and plain Cheerios are less expensive (and it's usually a bigger box).
  • I bought a mister bottle at the health food store. I mixed distilled water with a couple drops of lavender essential oil, tapped the bottom 100 times to mix it thoroughly. I use it as a natural air freshener around the house.
  • I try to keep a loaf of French bread handy for a quick supper. I buy the loaves at W*lmart for $1.50, then I cut them long-ways in thirds. So I get 3 long pieces out of one loaf. I spread spaghetti sauce, generously sprinkle low-moisture mozzarella cheese and bake! Sometimes I put turkey pepperoni or mushrooms on top...yummy, easy supper.
So there you have it...some of the ideas that are up my sleeve. To see what others have up their sleeves, visit Works for Me Wednesday. Thanks for stopping by; I hope you will be back soon.

6 comments:

  1. What great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I especially like the french bread idea...quick and simple! Stop by my blog to see what works for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great ideas here! I love the one about using French bread as a basis for a pizza-type meal. Just fyi, I've been finding garlic bread in the freezer section of our local dollar store lately. $1 for a loaf of garlic bread is a great deal. I've found eggs in the refrigerated section at the dollar store, too. Love those bargains :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use vinegar instead of JetDry in the dishwasher. Works great and less chemicals.

    And I am just odd enough to try that cereal bag idea....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea to keep French bread for a quick meal! Sometimes, you just don't want the whole meat-and-potatoes thing, and this sounds like a quick fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting me @ Big Doll's Boomtown! I haven't tried homemade dishwasher detergent, but I am always on the hunt for a good recipe, so let me know if you try it.

    On another note, DH and I are an interracial couple, too -- great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas!! Thanks for sharing. I love the vinegar in the washer - especially the front loader washers~

    ReplyDelete