Monday, August 20, 2007

The End of the Spear



I'm reading this great book called "The End of the Spear" by Steve Saint. It is excellent. Steve writes going back and forth from his childhood to present day and how God worked in his heart to accept what happened to his father and to embrace what He had for Steve and his family.

About the 5 men who died (one of which was his father), Steve said
It is only my conjecture, because none of us can know the will of God, but I think it fit God's plan that all five men died. I know that might offend some who have a narrower opinion of the parameters within which God must operate, but I don't think what happened to my dad and his four friends caught God by surprise. Nor do I think God simply allowed it. No, after learning in detail what happened on January 8, 1956--while I was so anxiously waiting to see the speck of my dad's little 56 Henry airplane appear over Penny Ridge--I believe God was much more involved in what happened than merely failing to intervene.

There are too many factors that all had to work together to have allowed the events to happen as they did. Too many for me to believe it was just chance. I have come to the conclusion that God did not look away. He did not simply allow this to happen. I think He planned it. Though this has not been an easy conclusion to come to, I believe it is the right one.

I personally paid a high price for what happened on Palm Beach. But I have also had a front-row seat as the rest of the story has been unfolding for half a century. I have seen firsthand that much good has come from it. I believe only God could have fashioned such an incredible story from such a tragic event.


What a hard but wonderful lesson about God's sovereignty. Several times while reading this book, I've been struck with the awesome plan and power of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment