Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stuck on the Holiness of God

I've been studying about the holiness of God since Sunday. Really only 3 days now, but it's been a long 3 days.

Anyway, I'm reading RC Sproul's book called "The Holiness of God". I read (I think it was in the study guide) that as one studies the holiness of God, one realizes more and more clearly her own sinfulness. I have been praying that my heart would be open to learn more about who God is and what it means that HE is HOLY. It's sort of like praying for patience--the way you get it is by practicing patience...meaning, you are put in situations that demand your patience. SO, I'm praying that I'll learn about His holiness, which in turn will show me more of my sinfulness.
This is tough stuff.

Here is a quote from the first chapter of Sproul's book. It is kind of long, but worth the read.

"How we understand the person and character of God the Father affects every aspect of our lives. It affects far more than what we normally call the "religious" aspects of our lives. If God is the Creator of the entire universe, then it must follow that He is the Lord of the whole universe. No part of the world is outside His lordship. That means no part of my life must be outside His lordship. His holy character has something to say about economics, politics, athletics, romance--everything with which we are involved.
God is inescapable. There is no place we can hide from Him. Not only does He penetrate every aspect of our lives, but He penetrates it in His majestic holiness. Therefore we must seek to understand what the holy is. We dare not seek to avoid it. There can be no worship, no spiritual growth, no true obedience without it. It defines our goal as Christians. God declared, 'Be holy, because I am holy.' (Leviticus 11:44)
To reach that goal, we must understand what holiness is. "

For now I'm stuck on the holiness of God and I think that's right where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment