Friday, January 25, 2008

Catch all post

I have a couple things to post about and thought I'd do it all in one big post. ;)

I'm learning to knit and am hosting a group of sweet girls at my home once a week to learn knitting. No, no, I'm not teaching them...a good friend of mine is. She is doing a great job with all of us. My baby boy loves it because he thinks the knitting needles are drum sticks! He has successfully taken out all my work and Marissa's work so far. We are learning to hide our knitting when we are not working on it.

I borrowed a book from the library called Quick Crochet Huge Hooks. This book has some great projects in it. Currently I'm working on a rag rug using strips of fabric, crocheting them together. Hopefully it will be a wedding present for a friend of ours. I'll post a picture of it when I'm closer to being done. Oh, that reminds me, I'd better renew the book at the library!

I'm reading a couple books right now--why can't I just read one at a time?? I'm still working my way through The Holiness of God by RC Sproul. I recently started Sacred Marriage by Gary L. Thomas. It has been thought provoking. I'll try to share some notes from the book as I go.

The Lord provided a way for me to join a small group Bible study at church. It starts this Wednesday and we are going through the book Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. I haven't had an opportunity to look through this book/workbook. But I'm looking forward to the study.

The other day I pulled a book off the shelf called A Woman's High Calling by Elizabeth George. I turned to the chapter on marriage and took these notes:

*Side note: she acknowledges that some husbands are difficult to love, however that doesn't excuse us from obeying God's Word and seeking to love our husbands.

1. Make the choice to love your husband. A choice to love your husban is most definitely a choice that will benefit both him and you. A choice to love your husband is also a choice to love God by obeying His high calling of Titus 2:4. It is a choice that honors the Lord and is a testimony to His glory.

2. Make a choice to love your husband before or ahead of your children. (Not a choice to love your husband and NOT love your children...just setting priorities.) Make sure with all the busyness and activity that children generate that loving your husband doesn't get crowded out.

3. Submit yourself to be "taught" to love your husband. The role of the older women in the body of Christ is to teach the young women the necessity of loving their husbands and the "how-to's" of such love.

4. Set up a prayer book or prayer page for your husband. Then commit yourself to pray daily for him. Prayer for your husband releases the power of God, for prayer is asking God to do what you cannot do.

5. Write a letter to God--expressing your desire to be a wife who majors on loving her husband.

6. Cultivate willful love--listen to God's Word and not our feelings

7. Listen to God's Word, not the world

8. Read daily on marriage

9. Do the works of love heartily (Colossians 3:23)

10. Do all to the glory of God

11. Confess any bitterness of heart (Hebrews 12:15)

12. Learn to ask your husband--little things can say a lot. Asking your husband before you commit yourself to something (whatever it may be) shows consideration for your husband. It shows a willingness to cultivate and defer to our husband's leadership.

13. Put your husband first, even ahead of yourself. Philippians 2:3-4

This list will never be complete--our works of love are unending.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On to the regular scheduled blog....

I read a great little article about some Valentine's ideas to do with your family. The article can be found here. Family Life Today's Family Room has good articles and ideas; check them out.

This evening I'm going scrapbooking. It's been a looonnnggg time since I went. Maybe even since the girl gave me the gum with the chewable wrapper. I don't anticipate anything that exciting happening tonight. Although my friend, Deb (yes, the same one who dared me to eat the gum wrapper), got a new tool (toy) for Christmas. I'm not sure what it can do, but I've been assured that it is cool.

My kids were the recipients of several great Christmas gifts. One in particular was this CD...called Seeds Family Worship--Courage. The actual Scriptures are put to music--upbeat and uplifting. My kids love this CD and I like it too.

Well, my last bit of "catch up" was to post a couple pictures. But I've tried a couple times and the connection has timed out. With dial-up posting pictures is a hassle. However the good part is, I've posted on just about everything I wanted to!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment