Monday, August 24, 2009

Perfect Peace

Yesterday's sermon was about Mark 15:1-8 and the women who went to the tomb to anoint Jesus' body with perfume and spices. In our class (after the sermon) we talked about the obstacles the women faced:: the heavy stone across the entrance, the soldiers who were guarding the tomb, possible grave robbers, and of course, their grief over Jesus' death. God graciously took care of each of these obstacles with the miraculous resurrection of our Savior.

The next question was "What obstacles do I face when coming to Jesus?" wow...this is a blog not a novel, I'm not sure I have room to list all my obstacles. I don't usually have all the obstacles at one time (God's grace, I'm sure). Some of my obstacles include:: the heaviness and guilt of my sin, the others in my life (past and present) whom I allow to emotionally weigh me down and steal my joy, and my independence--my lack of desperation for Him.

A good friend in the class mentioned the verse below (Isaiah 26:3) as a "grounding" verse of promise in her life. I've been meditating and thinking on this verse ever since she quoted it.
You will keep him in perfect peace,
whose mind is stayed on You:
because he trusts in You.
Isn't that a wonderful promise?!! A promise with a condition that as I trust in Him and keep my focus on Him, He will keep me in perfect peace.

1 comment:

  1. My biggest obstacle? Just me and my usual selfish self. I hate that.

    Thanks for sharing this. It is a timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete