Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

Yesterday I finally succeeded at making Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments. I have made them in the past years, but for some reason I couldn't get these to turn out right. I figured it out---DO NOT USE UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE! I ruined 3 batches, tried 2 different recipes and frustrated myself and the girls before I realized that in the past I've used Aldi's applesauce~sweetened and full of preservatives. The girls and I finally rolled out the dough and made sweet little ornaments which we will sell at our local homeschool craft sale (next week). Here is the recipe:

1 cup applesauce *sweetened and store-bought
1 cup cinnamon
1 Tablespoon of white school glue

Mix applesauce and cinnamon together with hands until well mixed. Add glue and mix again. Roll out dough on wax paper to about 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes and put a hole (either with a straw or skewer) allow to dry for 2-3 days. Turn once a day or so to avoid curling.

One last note, make sure that your hunny doesn't have plans to turn off the water during this project. Prolonged exposure to large amounts of cinnamon and applesauce will make the dry skin on your hands hurt. We speak from unfortunate experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment