Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Holiness of God a study continued

I've continued to study the holiness of God. This morning I compared Isaiah 6:1-4 with Revelation 4:1-11. The worship of the seraphim (in Isaiah) and the living creatures (in Revelation) is nothing short of deeply intense. In Revelation the living creatures never stopped saying
"Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of His glory!"

and their worship prompted the 24 elders response of:
"Worthy are you, our Lord and God,
To receive glory, and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they existed and were created."

The study guide asked me to compare my worship (personal and corporate) to the worship in this passage. Is there any comparison? Truly "Woe is me." Privately, I often come to Him in a routine, dutiful way that lacks any real praise and worship of Him. It's almost as if my time with Him is a chore I need to check off my "to do" list. Corporately in church, I find that music is a good catalyst to help me focus my thoughts on Him. I can usually block out the things on my mind and think about Him. Taking notes as the pastor is speaking is another way that I honor Him and focus. Especially when I go back over my notes during the week. Still I certainly lack the fervor and passion exuded in Revelation by the living creatures and 24 elders.

Why? I have so much to be thankful to Him for, so much to praise Him for, so much to need Him for. Sometimes I feel removed from the presence of God. I see His handiwork, His works of faithfulness and grace, but the creatures and elders were RIGHT there beside the throne. How can I sit there? Of course, like Isaiah (and much more so) I'd fall on my face--covering my head and wanting to hide. But to be there....

A.W. Tozer said:
We cannot grasp the true meaning of the divine holiness by thinking of someone or something very pure and then raising the concept to the highest degree we are capable of. God's holiness is NOT simply the best we know, infinitely better. We know nothing like the divine holiness. It stands apart, unique, unapproachable, incomprehensible, and unattainable. Only the Spirit of the Holy One can impart to the human spirit the knowledge of the holy.
So that is what I pray for. I pray that God would impart to me the knowledge of His holiness and that this knowledge would invoke in me the realness of my sin and His utter holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment