Friday, November 6, 2009

Sweet Potato Muffins

A dear friend gave me this recipe years ago. She had graciously baked these delicious, moist muffins and brought us a batch. I had to have the recipe. And then I proceeded to make the recipe maybe 3 times over the last many years. Each time I make them, we all rave about how yummy they are. I really should make them more often, much more often.

The most surprising fact is that the muffins are made with sweet potatoes. You'll never know, trust me. So run and make them. And make a batch for a friend, she'll appreciate it, trust me.

Sweet Potato Muffins
3 c. self rising flour--(to make own: 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 t. salt for each cup flour)
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Combine these ingredients in a mixing bowl

4 eggs
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil (I cut down to 3/4 c. and still plenty moist)
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat together in 2nd mixing bowl.

2 c. mashed cooked sweet potatoes--stir into liquid ingredients, then stir the liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, just until moistened.

1 c. raisins (can use less)
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Fold in raisins and nuts.

Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment