Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Scotch-a-Roos

I'm making these yummy little bars for gifts for my mother-in-law, sis-in-law and her kids and my bro-in-law. They are called Scotch-a-roos and are similar to a rice crispie treat. Here's the recipe::

* 1 cup light or dark corn syrup
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
* 5-6 cups rice crispies
* 1 cup chocolate chips
* 1 cup butterscotch chips
* 9 x 13 inch greased pan

Directions

1. In large bowl, measure 5-6 cups (5 cups makes bars chewier) Rice crispies and set aside.
2. Combine syrup and sugar in a large saucepan and heat on stovetop until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to bubble.
3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until creamy
4. Stir mixture into the Rice Krispies/thoroughly combine.
5. Spread evenly into 9 X 13 prepared pan
6. In microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate chips and butterscotch chips and melt in microwave until smooth consistency.
7. Spread melted chips evenly over crispies.
8. Refrigerate 30 minutes to set
9. Cut into desired squares and enjoy!!

As I was making them Bethany (my 7 1/2 year old) said, "I know these taste good, but they are so unhealthy for you. Do you want to make grandma unhealthy?" So should I tie them up with ribbon or what?

It's so funny that she would say that because I was thinking it in my head! I was thinking about writing this blog post and I was going to say, "Now these are yummy, but except for the peanut butter, they do not have one ounce of healthy in them!"

They are easy though, and they taste good.

You may be wondering how I resolved the issue with Bethany...well I told her that we were only going to give each person a few and they could eat them in moderation. Satisfied, she nodded her head and added, "And we are not keeping any for us!"

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment