Saturday, March 28, 2009

In loving memory...

My last post, last Saturday was about a homemade baby blanket for a new life coming into the world. This Saturday my post is about a 19 year old leaving this world. Only God knew that our lives would be shaken to the core on Monday evening.

We got the call that a dear sweet friend, Sarah, was killed in a car accident on Monday. Our week has been filled with sorrow, tears and praying for her parents, siblings and all of us who loved her. Through tears, her mother called yesterday to ask my husband and I to share something at the service as we were privileged to have Sarah in youth ministry. Five of us shared, although I'm positive that 500 could have shared as well. She was much loved.

Today was the memorial service. I've never seen so many people.

Here's what my husband and I shared:
We have known Sarah for many years. We are thankful for the time we had with her, although now it seems much too short. When we remember Sarah, we realize that God has given us a wonderful gift--a group of friends that He knit together to share in life's joys and sorrows. The well known philosopher, Aristotle said, "Friendships of this kind are likely to be rare; for such people are few." The T. family are such people.

Since Monday we've had a hole in our hearts--a Sarah sized hole. Sarah lived life to the fullest. It's been our joy to watch her grow and also to be a small part of that growth as her youth leaders. We watched as she blossomed from a sweet, timid girl into a strong, confident young woman. Sarah was kind, considerate and friendly to everyone she met. And although she was immensly gifted and talented, she was down to earth, humble and real.

She was intentional about her walk with the Lord. She sought to honor Him with her life, seeking out accountability and mentoring which spurred on her growth.

Sarah had a tremendously delightful sense of humor whether by word or facial expressions, you were sure to enjoy a good deal of laughter when with her.

Sarah is with our Savior whom she loved in word and deed. We long for the day, when like Sarah, we will see our Father face to face. From the words of Chris Tomlin,
There's a day that's drawing near/ when this darkness breaks to light/ And the shadows disappear/ And my faith shall be my eyes/ And I hear the cry of every longing heart sing, "Worthy is the Lamb"/We will rise when He calls our names/ no more sorrow/ no more pain/ we will rise on eagle's wings/ Before our God fall on our knees and rise.

I can't put into words the pain and sorrow I feel for her parents, our dear friends. I'm praying for God's comfort and peace for their aching hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you both so much for your words at Sarah's memorial. I miss her so much, but I know that I am far from alone in that, and I am thankful that she is with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete