Thursday, February 15, 2007

History Fair Project

My oldest daughter is participating in our local homeschool history fair. Her topic is "How events in history influenced women's fashion in the 1900's". While it has been very interesting, it also has been a bit overwhelming. This week has been our last big push to get things finished up as the fair is on Saturday morning.

Writing the report...oh, what a process. I have a hard time paraphrasing (the way the author says it sounds just right!), so I don't think I've taught her very well in this area. It has been a big learning process for Marissa and myself....lots of character building in addition to academic learning. Diligence, perseverance, excellence just to name a few of the character traits that we have touched on.

That's one of the neat aspects of homeschooling though. We can take time to work on the character issues that come about in the midst of the day's activities. I've realized that homeschooling is as much about my character as it is my children's. I need to be modeling the attitudes that I want them to learn and practice. Boy, this can be a daunting task...thankfully I have my Heavenly Father and His Word as my guide and my hunny as my encourager.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved. Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment