Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Shaping of a Christian Family

I've been reading this good book--The Shaping of a Christian Family: How my Parents Nurtured my Faith by Elisabeth Elliot. Using post-it's to mark key parts, my book now looks ragged with hot pink post-it notes! :) Reading this book is somewhat bitter sweet because my friend Julie and I had talked about this book many times. We both talked about wanting to read it. When I found it at a discount store for $2.99, I snatched it right up...and my hand reached for one for Julie until I remembered that she's with Jesus! I have those moments when for a split second I forget.

I hope to share with you some of the things I'm learning from this book to help me remember (someday the hot pink post-it's will have to come off) and to encourage us all in raising our families.

Elliot says,
"The example of parents, for good or ill, is an influence far more profound than can be measured. Their discipline and orderliness, their calm control were not things we noticed at all as children, of course. It was just the way things were at home, and hence the way we thought things were supposed to be, so we were horribly shocked when we visited homes where things were not disciplined, orderly and calm. As I look back I know that it was the presence of God that made the difference. Over the front doorbell button hung a little copper plate with these words:

'Christ is the Head of this house,
The unseen Guest at every meal,
The silent Listener to every conversation.'
To a thoughtful child those words create an aura.
Our parents understood very clearly that the principles they taught their children would have meager effect if they were not strongly fortified by the pattern of their own lives." pg. 75
Hmm, lots to think about in this section. What principles am I teaching my children? What principles am I trying to teach them by word, but not by example? I know for certain that I struggle with consistency. Sometimes I do well with organization, self discipline in exercise, eating, etc., other times I proceed with reckless abandon (okay, that may be a slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean). On the positive side, I know that I am demonstrating patience and grace as well as admitting I'm wrong and asking for forgiveness.

This has been a good reminder that my talk talks, but my walk talks louder than my talk talks.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I may have to look into getting one. :-)

    ReplyDelete