Saturday, June 23, 2007

Things I learned in Graduate School Part 1

I've been thinking about the last two years when my hunny was in graduate school. What a time of stretching and growth, challenging growth. Some things I think I did well, others not well at all and of course there are things I think I'd do differently if I had to do it all over again.

On the positive side, at the beginning of grad. school, we invested in another cell phone. Now we each had one. This only made good sense and it proved to be a great way for us to communicate. He had an hour and a half commute three times a week and on the way home, we'd talk.

Another positive was that we were involved at our church. We'd just started attending this church when grad. school began, so although hunny wasn't able to go, the kids and I were. Several ladies reached out to me which was a huge help. One lady would carry baby boy for me--and when he was still in the infant carrier seat, he was heavy. The ladies in the nursery welcomed us each Sunday and Wednesday--amazing how a smile and "hello" can brighten a person's day. In addition, I attended a class for women of all ages. Sharing, learning, and praying with these women was a big encouragement. One lady and I really hit it off. Her husband had gone through many years of schooling (Ph.D program) when their kids were small. She was able to encourage me and we chuckle about the similarities in our lives.

The last positive that I have time to write about today is that I tried to nurture myself. In the evenings (after the kids were in bed) I would crochet, scrapbook, read or blog. My time to rejuvinate and relax. I enjoyed this time, and had to guard against staying up too late (which falls in the things I didn't do so well...another post).

**As I was thinking about this post, I realized that it sounds like "I" did things well. Begging your forgiveness, more accurately stated is that Christ enabled me to do these things. In myself, no way could I have done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment